Life in a Mayoral: decision time



So who did I vote for on this historic day?

When the campaign kicked off I was sorely tempted to choose based purely on the candidates' views on Brexit, but now it seems a less urgent concern when there's a better opportunity to make that point next month. And if you discount Brexit, there's only one game in town. Burnham is streets ahead of the other candidates both in his experience and his manifesto, so first choice to him.

Of course I wasn't going to let my first ever supplementary vote election pass without nominating a second choice (not that there's any chance of it coming into play). That was a tougher decision: other than campaiging on Brexit the Lib Dems haven't been particularly inspiring in this race, and it was a bit of a toss-up with the Greens for me. But in an effort to make an informed choice I looked through Paterson's manifesto and noticed he makes a point of opposing HS2, which is an utterly disastrous attitude for a would-be mayor of GM. I couldn't actually find any position on HS2 in Brophy's manifesto, but not mentioning it is definitely preferable to opposing it, so second choice to her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What would a Labour Brexit look like?

Are Starmer's pledges worth the paper they were written on?

Unseen Academicals and the meaning of sport